Are you wondering what the best mattress brand is in 2019?
Look no further; this Zinus vs. Casper mattress comparison review sheds light on all the essential aspects regarding mattress shopping.
We have stripped down the two brands, highlighting areas where each excels and also where we feel there is room for improvement.
If you are thinking of replacing or just upgrading your mattress, this will be an interesting ride.
Types of mattresses
Established of brand
|The memory foam |
The hybrid models
Jacquard knit covers
Luxurious cotton blend covers
10-Year & 100 night sleep trial
Zinus – Mattresses and mattress foundations are specialty
Even though the US brand is famous for mattresses, it boasts a range of other products including beds, pillows, toppers, and other indoor comfort products.
In 2003, the company started to focus on mattresses primarily and has a manufacturing plant in China and that’s how they can come up with a relatively low priced mattresses.
This brand has been in the manufacturing business for longer and has three types of mattresses.
- The memory foam mattresses use adaptive foam layers for body support and contouring around your full body spectrum.
- Innerspring Zinus mattresses have individually wrapped coils for reduced motion isolation and support.
- Lastly, the hybrid models combine foam and coils for that bouncy feel and body contouring comfort.
Casper – An obsessively engineered mattress at a shockingly fair price
Unlike Zinus, Casper manufactures mattresses only.
It’s just recently that the company signed a deal with American Airlines to make pillows, blankets, and other travel comfort products.
Unlike Zinus, Casper manufactures only one type of mattress;
- Memory foam.
There are three models available;
- The Essential,
- The Casper,
- The Wave.
The Essential is an entry-level mattress characterized by three layers followed by the Casper, which has four layers.
As for The Wave, this is a pretty new model and comes with five layers for extra comfort and support.
Casper mattresses are available in all sizes and come in varying thickness.
Zinus vs Casper Face-to-Face Comparison Review
Having looked at the highlights of both brands, it’s time we get to the business of the day; comparing all the important aspects.
1. Brand trust: Zinus vs. Casper
- It is recommended that you buy from only the trusted brands. These cheap and little-known brands have fake products and poor after sales services.
Let’s see the trust score of the two brands.
So far so good, Casper has been successful in carving a formidable reputation by manufacturing high-quality mattresses and offering excellent after sales service (warranty, support, fast shopping and delivery, and sleep trials).
The company has also explored online reputation management by taming a few websites that run negative reviews about their mattresses.
This is also another renowned brand and is probably famous because it has been around for longer.
Zinus also has a reputation of delivering high-quality products including their mattresses. The customer support and after sales is also excellent save for the fact that you void the warranty if you use an electric blanket.
However, their mattresses are not the very best we have. In a scale of 1 to 10, I would give Zinus a brand trust score of 8 out of 10.
2. Casper vs. Zinus: Types of mattresses
As a buyer, you want only the best mattress that suits your sleeping needs. A good brand should give you a variety of models to choose from.
So, which brand between Casper vs. Zinus has a wide choice of mattresses?
This is a new brand, and so far, they only manufacture memory foam mattresses. That means you miss out on the selection of top innerspring mattresses and hybrids.
So far, it seems Casper will focus solely on foam support so if you are waiting for a coil Casper mattress, you might use a little patience.
Here, you are spoiled for choice. Zinus has memory foam mattresses, innerspring and hybrids as well. Under memory foams, you can choose from the three models, four innerspring mattress models, and one hybrid mattress.
3. Casper vs. Zinus Memory Foam Mattresses
In this review, it will be fair to factor in the fact that Zinus has other types of bed. To have an objective conclusion, we will only compare the memory foam mattresses from each brand.
Gladly, both brands have three models of memory foams.
So, which are these mattresses and which sleepers are they best-suited for?
Casper Sleep Essential vs. Casper vs. Wave
Casper Sleep Essential
This is the cheapest Casper mattress and is designed for the light sleepers as it is available in 8.5-inch thickness only. It has a total of 3 layers.
The top is a comfort layer that also adds to breathability followed by a pressure relief memory-foam layer.
Beneath the mattress is a support layer that also ensures durability and strong edge support.
The Casper Sleep Essential has six sizes;
Casper Sleep Original
Heavy sleepers can get the comfort the Casper Essential doesn’t offer with this 10-inch with an additional layer taking the total to 4.
The extra layer is called Zoned Support, and this works by providing firmer support somewhere in the middle of the mattress where your hip and pelvic region rests. It also provides a softer firm in the shoulder area.
Casper Sleep is also available in 6 sizes;
Casper Sleep Wave
The Casper Sleep Wave is the latest mattress from Casper and features 11.5-inch thickness and five support and comfort layers.
This time, the comfort layer is a blend of memory foam and breathable latex for better temperature neutrality.
The Casper Wave supports the body at 33 pressure points courtesy of a Contour-Cut Support Foam.
It is available in 6 sizes;
- Twin XL,
- Cal King.
Zinus Pressure Relief (Green Tea) vs. Cooling Gel vs. Pressure Relief (Cloud)
Pressure Relief (Green Tea)
The Zinus Pressure Relief Green Tea/ActivCharcoal is available in
Under the jacquard knit cover, there is a memory foam comfort layer and polyfoam for support.
As the name suggests, this model has a cooling gel comfort layer that contours your body and ensures faster dissipation of heat.
The support consists of either one or two layers of high-grade polyfoam.
The Zinus Cooling Gel is available in
Has a jacquard knit cover.
Pressure Relief Cloud
This is a pillow-top mattress design characterized by a Viscolatex Responsive Foam comfort layer, memory foam in the middle and beneath, polyfoam.
Regarding upholstery, it is covered with a jacquard knit cover and microfiber padding.
The Zinus Pressure Relief Cloud is available in
- Remember Casper mattresses are available in one thickness. As for the available mattress sizes, it is a draw.
4. Comfort and support
- Comfort is one of the two important things a mattress should offer, and thus, a meaningful discussion. Here, we will be looking at how Zinus and Casper have crafted their comfort layers, and if they are indeed comfortable.
- The other aspect is support, and as you know, this is what keeps the mattress in place without collapsing regardless of the weight.
Also, consider edge support if you like sitting on the edge of the bed.
It’s also safer if you have kids as they won’t slide out.
The Casper Essential comes with two comfort layers and a support layer totaling to 3.
The comfort layers are made from memory foam and Polyfoam while the support consists of HD Polyfoam.
Second is Casper which comes with four layers; 3 comfort layers and a support layer.
The comfort layers are:
- 1.5″ Polyfoam
- 1.5″ 4 Memory Foam
- 1.5″ Polyfoam
- Support is a 5″ Polyfoam
The 3 Zinus mattresses have different layers depending on the thickness of the mattress.
- In the Pressure Relief Green Tea Memory Foam, the 6-inch has a 5″ HD Polyfoam for support and 1″ HD Memory Foam for comfort.
- The 8-inch has a 4″ HD Polyfoam support and 2″ Memory Foam and 2″ Polyfoam for comfort.
- The 10-inch has 5 1/2″ HD Polyfoam support layer and two comfort layers; 2 1/2″ Memory Foam and 2″ Polyfoam for comfort.
- As for the 12-inch, we have two support layers consisting of 3 1/2″ HD Polyfoam and 3 1/2″ HD Polyfoam and two comfort layers; 3″ Memory Foam and 2″ Polyfoam.
When choosing a mattress, make sure to pick the right firmness, and with that, two things come into play; the kind of sleeper you are and your weight.
Firmness is represented in three terms firm, medium and soft. You will also find the firmness scaled from 1-10 with a higher score pointing to a firm mattress.
- A firm mattress is great if you are heavy (200lbs. plus) and often sleep on your stomach. This is to keep your spine in alignment with the pelvis.
- Go for a medium-firm mattress if you are an average back sleeper (150 – 200lbs.). It will cushion your entire spinal column, as well as the back and neck for a comfortable night.
- As for the soft and plush, you need them if you are a lightweight side sleeper (150lbs. and below).
The Zinus models have different firmness. The Pressure Relief Green Tea Memory Foam 6-inch mattress has a score of 8, the 8-inch mattress has 7, while the 10-inch and 12-inch have a 6 and 5 firmness score.
Zinus Cooling Gel has a firmness score of 7 for the 8-inch model, and 6 for the 10-inch. Higher up, we have 5 and 3 for the 12-inch and 14-inch models.
Last is the Zinus Pressure Relief (Cloud) that has a firmness rating of 7 for the 8-inch model, 6 for the 10-inch model, and 5 for the 12-inch.
For Casper, there are only three mattresses, and that means three firmness levels.
The Casper Sleep Essential has a firmness rating of 7.5. Casper Original has a firmness rating of 5. The latest Casper 11.5-inch Mattress, Casper Wave has a 4.5 firmness rating.
6. Cover material
Some brands come with quilted covers, plain, and so many other styles. We also have a range of materials from cotton to polyester.
So, what kind of cover should you expect from Zinus and Casper?
The Casper Essential comes with a plain knitted fabric cover. The Casper Original has 100% Polyester on the top and a Polyester blend for the sides and bottom.
All the Zinus mattresses come with a Knitted Jacquard Cool Fabric.
7. Motion isolation, Off-gassing, and temperature neutrality
Memory foam mattresses are synonymous with off-gassing. But the levels of off-gassing varies from one brand to the other depending on the type of foam used.
Besides off-gassing, temperature neutrality is also another consideration especially for those who sleep hot.
Let’s see how the different Zinus and Casper mattresses are adapted to motion isolation, off-gassing, and temperature neutrality.
Customers who have bought Casper mattresses have complained of a little off-gassing that goes away in 2-3 days.
The mattress also dissipates heat faster and doesn’t sleep hot.
When it comes to motion isolation, it creates minimal disturbance but a little noise.
Zinus memory foam mattresses are also known for off-gassing except for the Zinus Green Tea model which has been infused with Green Tea and charcoal.
As for motion isolation, Zinus is also a great choice but not as better as the Zinus hybrid models.
- To help homeowners identify mattresses that have Eco-friendly materials, we have the CertiPUR-US mark that guarantees the particular mattress has been manufactured using foam and materials that have no negative impact on the environment.
The foam and other materials used to manufacture Zinus mattresses are tested and approved by CertiPUR-US.
This brand also uses Eco-friendly materials: all the mattresses have been marked CertiPUR-US certified.
9. Warranty & Sleep Trials
A warranty covers you in case the mattress you purchased starts to show signs of drastic wear like dipping. If it is the fault of the manufacturer, you are eligible for a replacement or refund.
- Make sure to read the Ts & Cs to know what exactly the warranty covers.
So, what do Casper and Zinus offer here?
All mattresses from Zinus come with a 10-year warranty running from the date of purchase.
Regarding the condition of the mattress when claiming returns, it should be in donate-able condition, and proof of purchase should be available (original buyer). One hundred days of use shouldn’t take a toll on a Zinus mattress.
These mattresses also come with a 10-year warranty. At least for Casper, there are no strict policies in the warranty but make sure to go through it.
Notably, you can use Casper mattresses with electric blankets.
It also comes with a 100-day sleep trial as well and has no mandatory 30-day break in period; you can also return the mattress anytime you want as long as you’re the original buyer.
When returning the mattress, Casper is also keen on the condition and won’t accept returned mattresses with heavy wear and tear.
10. What other buyers are saying
We went to find out what the market has to say and here’s our report.
On Amazon Walmart, and even the manufacturer’s website point to some customer dissatisfaction on some models.
The issues range from dipping to lack of support and comfort after a few years.
The average rating for Zinus mattresses is 4 in a scale of 1 to 5.
- For us, we think 4.3 will be an honest rating.
This brand is known to tame negative reviews but still maintains an average rating of 4 on a scale of 1 to 5.
- Our score for this mattress brand is 4.5.
11. Where to buy Zinus and Casper
In the past, mattresses were exclusively sold in the local stores. However, the growth of the mattresses industry has grown exponentially, and today, we have brands that retail in online stores only while others are in online stores as well as local stores.
Sow, where will you buy your Zinus mattress or Casper?
Casper mattresses are readily available on the Casper official website as well as the leading retail stores.
You will also find Casper mattresses in local stores.
As for Zinus, you only have the option of buying online from e-commerce websites like Amazon and Walmart.
12. Shipping and delivery
After you have found your best mattress, make sure to confirm the shipping and delivery details.
Some brands are expensive to ship while others don’t have courier partners that deliver in some regions.
This mattress will come in a mattress-in-a-box design where they are compressed and vacuum sealed.
- Casper shops in most regions in the US for free but in parts of Canada and Alaska, shipping charges may apply.
This brand also ships their mattresses when compressed and vacuum sealed.
- Deliveries are in many parts of the United States with some peripherals attracting shipping fees.
Casper vs. Zinus: Which is the best brand?
We’ve come to the end of the Zinus vs. Casper face to face comparison review. Now, it’s time to declare our winner.
- As far as comfort and durability is concerned, Casper mattresses carry the day. Casper Sleep Wave, in particular, offers the best in class comfort and last longer than Zinu mattresses.
- However, in terms of value for money, Zinus is the best brand. It provides almost the same comfort and durability as Casper and comes at a fraction of what Casper costs.
- Zinus also has better edge support than Casper.
That’s it for today ladies and gentlemen.
But if you are not up for the high prices, Zinus is still a good brand to rely on.
Which one is your favorite? Talk to us in the comments section below.